Annons:
Tagvariation-dialects
Read 1807 times
Emo
2018-02-03 16:29

Your experience of variaton in English

When I started to learn English in school it was very important that we should learn the Brittish pronunciation especially from Oxford. 
It wasn't easy if you had heard the American kind of pronunciation. At that time many of us still had relatives in the USA and met people with that pronunciation.
Nowadays we learn more through TV and therefore it is easier for many of us to adapt the way people in USA speak.
What do you think about this subjekt?

My website: American version
Min hemsida: Svensk version

Annons:
Tealover
2018-02-03 18:08

When I was younger I spoke English with an west african accent, always. But then most of my friends were from Liberia or Sierra Leone. But in school my English was more brittisk. Not totally brittish but I atleast skipped west african slang

Teanerd who loves tea so much that i started a tea shop www.tealovers.se!
Host of Tea savvity and the swedish version Te ifokus
Follow me on Facebook and instagram

jordan
2018-02-03 20:34

I would say that I hear more people with an American-English accents than British English. I do think learning English through media is a good idea though, and most words I feel are pronounced similarly!

Evelina
2018-02-04 13:17

I grew up in the US, so I have an American English accent, a northern Californian accent, to be more specific. Travelling through Ireland and Scotland was quite entertaining. I had a really difficult time understanding everyone, especially people with a Scottish accent, and even more specifically, the Scots that had a Glaswegian (Glasgow) accent. Scared

I also think it has been interesting studying at uni here in Sweden. Most of my English teachers have been educated with British English writing rules. I have had difficulties with some of the gradings of my papers due to this fact. I had to actually go to their offices and tell them, "Hello, I am American and this is the way I have been taught to write." They were like oh makes sense, I'll change the grade. Quiet

I have also had a few English teachers here in Sweden that were from the US and I never had a problem with their grading based on my usage of English, haha. 

Just silly things! 🙂

Leia
2018-02-05 12:32

I was born in Yorkshire, England so I was taught to write by British English writing rules however as I speak with a Yorkshire dialect and sometimes this shows through in my writing (this is just laziness on my part). 

I'm known for missing words out, most commonly the work 'The', for example:

English: I'm going to the pub

Yorkshire: am going t'pub 

I've attached a video that explains 'how we folk from Yorkshire talk'.

All the best, Leia

Host of  Gluten-Free Living | News  | English Language Heart

Tammie
2018-02-05 19:07

This all very interesting and fun. I love hearing the different accents that people from different areas have!

Happy creating!

Tammie

Host of Paints and Crafts

Scroll to top
Annons: