Annons:
Tagenglish-language
Read 1727 times
Niklas
2018-02-08 13:00

How to write dependent clauses mid sentence

Which is the correct way to write in English: 1. “My name is Niklas and I was born in Stockholm, Sweden, and now live…” 2. “My name is Niklas and I was born in Stockholm, Sweden and now live…” I often see the second example in written English, but the first is more like what you would write in Swedish.

Best regards, Niklas 🎈

Annons:
Leia
2018-02-08 13:45

I would say that number one is correct. Here is an explanation I found on grammarly.com, I feel they can explain it far better than I could. 

The word and is a conjunction, and when a conjunction joins two independent clauses, you should use a comma with it. The proper place for the comma is before the conjunction. 
On Monday we’ll see the Eiffel Tower, and on Tuesday we’ll visit the Louvre.
The sentence above contains two independent clauses (highlighted in green), so it requires a comma before and. (By the way, you can tell they’re independent clauses because each one could stand on its own as a complete sentence.) 

Hope this helps!

All the best, Leia

Host of  Gluten-Free Living | News  | English Language Heart

Leia
2018-02-08 13:57

Moreover, I would say your example is of independent clauses and not dependent.

You should not use a comma before and when one of the clauses it’s connecting is a dependent clause. For example:

Sam tossed the ball, and watched the dog chase it. - is incorrect. 

The first clause, Sam tossed the ball could stand on its own as a complete sentence, which means it’s an independent clause. But the second clause, watched the dog chase it, can’t stand by itself as a complete sentence. That means it’s a dependent clause, so we should not use a comma before and.

Sam tossed the ball and watched the dog chase it. - is correct.

I could be wrong though, sorry if I am!

All the best, Leia

Host of  Gluten-Free Living | News  | English Language Heart

Niklas
2018-02-08 15:44

Thank you! By dependent clause I meant “Sweden”. It doesn’t say much on its own.

Best regards, Niklas 🎈

Scroll to top
Annons: