”” or ’’?

2018-03-19 11:54 #0 by: Niklas

In Swedish we generally use ”” around quotes. In English I often see ’’ used. What is the proper way to indicate that something is a quote in written English?

2018-03-19 12:02 #1 by: Evelina

A quote would look "like this" in English. And if you are referring to 'something like this', it is because 'this' is used when the the writer doesn't believe in the intended meaning of the quoted word used by the original author. At least that is how I use it in my writing at uni. For example, this author claimed to conceptualise this as the 'model of individuality'. 

Anyone else know?

2018-03-19 12:49 #2 by: Maddie

They are the same, but the double is the primary and the single teh secondary (in both english and swedish). You use the double first, and if you need to write a quotation within a quotation you use the single.

The boy screamed "I will never say 'thank you' to you!" before storming off.

Personally, I use the double when refering to a direct quote, and the single when refering to a phrase or something 'so-called' or scare quotes.

As I've learned, both are correct and you can use which ones you prefer.

2018-03-19 13:50 #3 by: Niklas

Thanks! Having this community is superb when English isn't your native language.

2018-03-19 18:21 #4 by: Leia

I would agree with Surpan!

All the best, Leia

Host of  Gluten-Free Living | News  | English Language Heart


Become a member

To participate in the discussion, you must first become a member. It is quick, simple and free. The membership gives you access to all our communities.