Semantics

Maypole?

2018-06-19 04:39 #0 by: Emo

I know the word pole, but I would like to know if the word may in this is the same as our word maja in Swedish, dress with leaves.
Because may is like May, as in Swedish the word maja in the word majstång  leads to confusing, people wonder why it has something to do with the month May (maj i Swedish). It has not!

My website: American version
Min hemsida: Svensk version

2018-06-19 08:35 #1 by: Niklas

I read about the word maypole. It seems that the may part comes from the month May, when many countries celebrate May Day with a pole. In some countries they celebrate it on Pentecost.

Best regards, Niklas

Host of Crypto Currencies | How to... | iPad for Work | Mobile Photography

2018-06-19 08:39 #2 by: Emo

#1 How do the "real" Maypole looks like?

2018-06-19 09:48 #3 by: Niklas

There are different kinds. Some look like a tall pole with colored ribbons going around it. Wikipedia has some photos.

Maypole - Wikipedia

Best regards, Niklas

2018-06-19 10:16 #4 by: Emo

When they then shows a Swedish Midsummerpole and call it Maypole, it is easy to understand why they mix them and think our poles have something to do with the month of May.
Can we then use the word Midsummerpole to be sure we want to speak about the thing we use at Midsummer. Laughing

2018-06-19 12:02 #5 by: Niklas

If you start using it perhaps others will follow. :-)

Best regards, Niklas

2018-06-19 14:27 #6 by: Emo

I will try. You know. Glad

2018-06-19 20:41 #7 by: jordan

#4 If the situation arises then I will also use the term Midsummerpole Glad Spread the word!

There is anohter comment in this discussion. It is, however, only visible for logged in members. To read the comment, log in or register to become a member.