Annons:
Tagenglish-language
Read 3377 times
Evelina
2018-11-06 16:10

Writing an essay for uni

I've been stuck writing an essay for a Master's level course in Global Political Economy. It's about the 2007-8 financial crash, and I have to argue for or against the idea that it could have been averted. 

Ugh, I don't know if it is because this is my first Master's level course so it is more demanding, or I have just lost my motivation to write, but this paper is taking forever. It's due Thursday afternoon, and I have been locked in my office for days now (or has it been weeks Confused) working on this paper and it feels like I am just writing a literature synthesis rather than actually making my own argument, and to be fair not a very good literature synthesis at that, lol.

Annons:
Leia
2018-11-07 01:09

My biggest tip is to look at it and analyse it critically from both sides, but place emphasis on the one you find most convincing! I’m using the Savvity app at the moment but I’m pretty sure I have some materials on my laptop I could try and find out tomorrow for you if that isn’t too late.

All the best, Leia

Host of  Gluten-Free Living | News  | English Language Heart

Tammie
2018-11-07 04:23

I would think you should have a good argument that it could have been avoided. However, there were so many things that set this event up. It wasn't just one thing.

Happy creating!

Tammie

Host of Paints and Crafts

Niklas
2018-11-07 11:24

Unfortunately “To big to fail” is no longer on Netflix. Otherwise I would suggest you watch that to get in the mood for writing. If you can find it somewhere else, see it.

» 7 Movies That Tell The Real Story Behind the Financial Crisis | Fortune

Best regards, Niklas 🎈

Niklas
2018-11-07 11:32

Another movie I liked is “The big short”. It may not Help with your thesis, but it would let you think of something else for a while.

» The Big Short (2015) - IMDb

Get out of the house and do something else. It sounds like you have exhausted all the creativity of the apartment for now. Then go to a nice library and bring earphones to shut out any noise. See if you can work there.

Best regards, Niklas 🎈

Evelina
2018-11-07 12:29

#1 That's what I am doing actually, I explained the mainstream theory explaining the crisis and now I am arguing from a Marxist perspective. It just takes so long. Especially because I have to argue why I am using a critical theory and my argument doesn't have enough methodological rigour. Too much 'meta' stuff to understand lol. 

#2 Yes, there are many things that led up to the crisis. 

#4 I have watched The Big Short a few times 🙂 I tried going to the uni library a couple times earlier in the week and last week too but I am extremely sensitive to sounds and smells. Too many people wear cologne and perfume unfortunately. 

There has also been a ridiculous amount of people at uni this year. I don't know if they had a much higher acceptance rate this year but unless you show up at the crack of dawn, you will likely be unable to find a good seat. Sad Plus, our kitchen renovation is finishing this Friday, so I have to watch the cats to make sure they don't bother the construction workers haha.

Niklas
2018-11-07 14:51

I have never been there, but you could try the Stockholm Public Library. I like the building with its round cylindrical dome. Hopefully regular library visitors use less perfume and are quieter than students. That wouldn’t take care of the cats, though. 🙂

» Stockholm Public Library by Gunnar Asplund | Stockholms Stadsbibliotek

Best regards, Niklas 🎈

Annons:
Leia
2018-11-07 18:37

#5 Then I'm sure you're doing better job than what you think you are, the best of luck with it all Heart

All the best, Leia

Evelina
2018-11-08 12:17

It’s coming to an end! Finishing my final argument and then writing a conclusion. I have less than three hours to go! 🤣

Niklas
2018-11-08 12:23

Good job!

Best regards, Niklas 🎈

Evelina
2018-11-08 14:27

I submitted it! Definitely not my best work, but I am glad it is done.

Tammie
2018-11-12 01:10

Yay! I bet you felt better once it was submitted!

Happy creating!

Tammie

Host of Paints and Crafts

Evelina
2019-01-11 00:00

I got an A 👏🙌🏼

Niklas
2019-01-11 11:56

Congratulations! I’m sure you deserved it. 🙂

Best regards, Niklas 🎈

Annons:
Evelina
2019-01-11 12:59
Leia
2019-01-11 22:50

An A is amazing! and you were saying "Definitely not my best work", I'd love to see what is your best work in that case Winking

All the best, Leia

Max
2019-01-12 09:47

Which way did you swing in the end?  It's possible to argue either way.  I think The Black Swan is quite an interesting read on the subject and indeed would regard it as a mus read for anyone studying the Global Political Economy

Evelina
2019-01-12 18:09

#16 I decided to argue that it could not have been averted. I used critical theory to argue that mainstream economic theory is too reductionist in its epistemological approach. They argue that the origin of the financial crisis lie in the financial system since it is inherently unstable. They tend to blame crises on one or a few causes rather than as a result of several ongoing processes, which I argued to be the entire globalised system of production and financialization.

Scroll to top
Annons: