Annons:
Tagenglish-language
Read 2174 times
Tammie
2019-09-08 04:04

How Language Shapes The Way You Think

There are over 7,000 different languages and they shape how we think in surprising ways. I can't imagine a language that doesn't include mathematics. I found this video rather fascinating. It really makes me want to learn more languages. 

What languages would you like to learn? And why?

How many languages do you know?

Happy creating!

Tammie

Host of Paints and Crafts

Annons:
Emo
2019-09-08 08:42

I speak swedish, english and german. I read a lot of books, swedish, english, german. danish and just small norwegian books.

The most interesting to begin with should be thai. My daughter in law is from Thailand and if her kids will be allowed to visit Sweden, I would like to be able to talk with them.

My website: American version
Min hemsida: Svensk version

Tammie
2019-09-08 19:02

I really think being a bilingual family is a blessing. Skyping or FaceTiming can start now and you can begin to pick up on each other’s languages!

Happy creating!

Tammie

Host of Paints and Crafts

Niklas
2019-09-09 13:05

I am more interested in understanding languages in general than learning another one, but if I had to pick one, it probably would be French or Spanish. They are spoken by many, and I see a lot of French and Spanish films. I don't know where the line for “knowing” a language goes, but I fluently understand and speak Swedish and English. I also comprehend a lot of Danish and Norwegian, and they understand me (when I talk Swedish). I also have some of my school German hidden back in my head. I understand more in reading than when heard. I probably could buy beer or cigarettes if I had to (I don't smoke). I, I, I… 🙂 Icelandic and Dutch have similarities with each other and Old Norse which in turn evolved into Swedish, so some of that is understandable too. 😀

Best regards, Niklas 🎈

Niklas
2019-09-09 13:26

The TED Talk was fascinating. There weren’t many things she said that I already knew. Funny that some languages are based around directions, north, south, east and west. Towards the end, she said that about half of the worlds 7,000 will be gone in 100 years and that it will be sad. I think it can be a good thing too since that means more people speak the same language and languages can unite people.

Best regards, Niklas 🎈

jordan
2019-09-09 17:38

I would love to learn another language! Sadly though my dedication to it while at school was not great, so I just don't think I can do it that well, so it would take me a long time to try.

From my school knowledge I can speak VERY basic German, but that is about it Laughing out loud

Niklas
2019-09-10 16:47

#5: That would have been true for me as well thirty years go, but with a lot more experience in the languages I already know and having picked up things from other languages, I think I might have been better at it now. Perhaps the same will be true for you.

Best regards, Niklas 🎈

Annons:
jordan
2019-09-10 21:40

#6 I guess there is only one way to find out! Normally when going somewhere I try to remember some phrases, even if I don't plan on using them and they actually stuck in my head. Perhaps it might be better to learn now!

Scroll to top
Annons: